Founded by the ancient Romans to defend the strategic shores of England’s Thames River, London has a history that’s long and proud. Over the course of the years it became the seat of power for English kings and queens. Eventually it became the heart of “the empire on which the sun never sets” – the far-flung British Empire. Today, London is the United Kingdom’s political and cultural capital.
It’s also one of the world’s great cities. London offers a magnificent mixture of amazing architecture, history, world-class art galleries, museums and theaters, royal pageantry, pulsating nightlife, and modern amenities. It’s also a multicultural city where you’re almost as likely to see a native Pakistani or Kenyan as you are a native Briton. Because of its extreme cultural diversity, you can find restaurants, pubs, cafés and other eating establishments that feature virtually any type of food. An online booking service like the one operated by Airlines Northwest can bring you from anywhere in the world to all of this.
London is a major tourist destination and is served by several major airports, including Heathrow and Gatwick, among others. Multiple flights arrive in London every day from dozens of locations scattered throughout the world. Because there are so many flights, affordable tickets tend to be readily available. You can book yours easily through Northwest Airlines.
Here are a few of the sights that many of London’s visitors tend to focus on, at least during their first trip to the city:
- The historic Tower of London, which once served as a royal residence as well as the place where dissidents were questioned, tortured and killed. Now it houses the Crown Jewels and is guarded by the Yeoman Warders (commonly called the Beefeaters), who also give guided tours.
- The Palace of Westminster and its clock tower (Big Ben), the Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey, where British monarchs are crowned and wed and many renowned individuals are buried.
- Buckingham Palace and the colorful Changing of the Guards ceremony.
- The British Museum, one of the finest in the world and the home of six million artifacts.
- The magnificent St. Paul’s Cathedral, the third-largest in the world.
- Trafalgar Square and Lord Nelson’s Column.
- The London Eye, an immense Ferris wheel that’s almost 450 feet high. The aerial views of the city are spectacular from the top.
- Fun-loving Soho and always-vibrant Piccadilly Circus.
There’s plenty more, so after your first trip you might want to book a return visit through Northwest Airlines. London is a city where history is still alive, but it offers priceless cultural opportunities, world-class shopping and a diverse nightlife too.
No matter where in the world you’d like to travel, consider booking your flight and hotel through the online service at Airlines Northwest. We’d be happy to help.Google+